Each month brings its own set of challenges and celebrations. As we look at October, we need to be praying for what lies ahead. These prayers for October and prayer points for October will give you ideas on what to pray for and pray through during the month.
The prayer points for the month have been organized into prayer sheets you can use for your own devotional time. They can also be helpful for prayer events at church.
If you are leading a prayer group or prayer meeting, these prayer topics for prayer time can help you prepare. We hope to bring you more months in the future; check out this link to see which month’s we’ve covered so far.
The new month prayers that follow the prayer points are here to inspire your own prayers. These sample prayers can also be prayed along with, as long as you pray them from your heart.
Don’t miss the FREE October prayer planner at the end of this post, with a prayer focus for each day of the month, and 5 in-depth prayer sheets to pray thoroughly through an important aspect of Christian life.
Powerful Prayer for New Month of October
These prayer points cover some of the activities and concerns that can be common to October. Some are concerns year around. These activities may vary depending on where you live.
With 31 different prayer points, there’s a prayer request for each day of the month! Don’t miss the free printable list of prayer requests for October, included in the printable at the end of this post. They are a great addition to your daily prayers.
Prayer Points for October
- Fall activities at schools, like Homecoming
- Halloween or Harvest Festival activities
- Upcoming elections
- School commitments
- Financial concerns
- Good health, especially for the vulnerable
- People who need to find a community of friends
- God’s will for you and your family
- Following God’s calling for your life
- Spiritual growth of your worship of God
- Strength through short-term and long-term trials
- Mental clarity and a mind focused on what is true (Philippians 4:8-9)
- Perseverance through challenging times
- Compassion and understanding for generations older and younger than you
- Christians who need to return to their walk with the Lord
- Those who are grieving
- People who feel misunderstood
- Caregivers, including family, friends, and paid caregivers
- Those who deal with anxiety everyday
- People who feel left out
- Teachers to connect with their students in a meaningful way
- Friendships to be reconciled where possible and beneficial
- Those dealing with bitterness or deep hurts
- Freedom from addiction
- Daily bread for widows and orphans (Psalm 68:5)
- Christians who deal with persecution for their faith
- Leaders of nations to honor the Lord
- Church outreach programs
- Ministry organizations to be focused on fulfilling their God-given mission
- Missionary workers to have the financial support they need
- People you know who don’t know Christ yet
Prayer for the New Month of October
Dear Lord Jesus,
We have so many reasons to praise You! Thank you for this new month of October, and what You have for us in this month. We are excited to follow Your will for October.
We pray that You will see us through this month. Equip us for the challenges we will face in this present time. Help us to look to You for wisdom and strength.
We lift up all of our October activities. Please keep us safe, and help us to obey You. If there is anything we shouldn’t do, please convict our hearts and help us to turn away from temptation.
We ask these things in the precious and holy name of Jesus, Amen.
Prayers for October: Prayer for Healing for Broken Relationships
It can be so painful to have a broken relationship with a friend or family member. Thankfully, we can lift these hurts and concerns up to our Lord.
He can change hearts and heal these broken relationships.
Prayer Points for Healing for Broken Relationships
- Pray for any action you might need to take to heal this relationship. “If therefore you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.” Matthew 5:23-24
- Pray for restoration of relationships, that the lost may be found. “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe, and put it on him. Put a ring on his hand, and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let’s eat, and celebrate; for this, my son, was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found.’ Then they began to celebrate.” Luke 15:22-24
- Pray for reconciliation between other people you know. “I exhort Euodia, and I exhort Syntyche, to think the same way in the Lord. Yes, I beg you also, true partner, help these women, for they labored with me in the Good News with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.” Philippians 4:2-3
- Pray for your willingness to forgive. “Then Peter came and said to him, ‘Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?’ Jesus said to him, ‘I don’t tell you until seven times, but, until seventy times seven.’” Matthew 18:21-22
- Pray for unity in your family, your friends, your church, and other areas of your life. “See how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to live together in unity!” Psalm 133:1
- Pray for God to bring healing to the broken hearts, whether the relationship is reconciled or not. “He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3
We are hurting over these broken relationships in our lives. We hope for the reconciliation and unity of what we once had.
We surrender these relationships to You, Lord, and ask You to show us what we should do. Help us to be faithful in prayer. Give us wisdom as to when to reach out and when to stay quiet.
Show us where we should offer an apology. Help us to humbly approach these relationships. Don’t let bitterness or anger grow in our hearts.
We thank You for the relationships You have given us now. Please remind us of all Your have blessed us with, and not only look at what we don’t have.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Prayers for October: Prayer for Protection for Children
Children should be cherished and protected against harm. The Bible reminds us how precious children are in the sight of the Lord. Let’s pray for the children we know, as well as those we don’t.
Pray for their walk in the Lord, and for their protection.
- Pray for children to be valued in society, especially in the church. “They were also bringing their babies to him, that he might touch them. But when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. Jesus summoned them, saying, ‘Allow the little children to come to me, and don’t hinder them, for God’s Kingdom belongs to such as these. Most certainly, I tell you, whoever doesn’t receive God’s Kingdom like a little child, he will in no way enter into it.’” Luke 18:15-17
- Pray for children to learn God’s Word. “These words, which I command you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up.” Deuteronomy 6:6-7
- Pray for children to be taught from the word of the Lord of God’s faithfulness in the past and His provision for today and the future. “That this may be a sign among you, that when your children ask in the future, saying, ‘What do you mean by these stones?’ Joshua 4:6
- Pray for children to follow their parent’s righteous leadership. “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.” Ephesians 6:1
- Pray for parents to provide righteous leadership, reflecting the love of God for His children. “Fathers, don’t provoke your children, so that they won’t be discouraged.” Colossians 3:21
Thank You for the children in our lives. They are not only our future, they are our present! Help us to faithfully pray for them and encourage them in You.
We pray that they will be protected from harm. Thwart the plans of those who plot against children, or take advantage of an opportunity or someone’s trust.
We pray for family relationships that honor You. Please provide for those who need other safe adults in their life to provide that mother or father figure role that might not be present right now.
May these children grow up in You, and grow in You each day! We pray that they will have many new opportunities to learn about You and see Your hand in their lives. Bring people into their lives who love You!
In the name of Christ Jesus, Amen.
Prayers for October: Prayer for Finding Joy
Are people less happy today? We find many ways to pursue happiness, but the better pursuit would be to find joy.
Joy is different from happiness. Happiness usually stems from circumstances; joy in the Lord comes from trusting in His promises and being in His presence.
Unlike our circumstances, the Lord is consistent. He does not change. He is the same forever!
As we understand Him more and find our joy in Him, our need to pursue our next idea of what will make us happy grows less important.
These prayer points remind us what joy in the Lord is and how to find joy in Him.
- Pray for our joy in God’s provision and protection. “But let all those who take refuge in you rejoice. Let them always shout for joy, because you defend them. Let them also who love your name be joyful in you.” Psalm 5:11
- Pray for joy in following God’s will. “You will show me the path of life. In your presence is fullness of joy. In your right hand there are pleasures forever more.” Psalm 16:11
- Pray for joy in God’s presence. “For you make him most blessed forever. You make him glad with joy in your presence.” Psalm 21:6
- Pray for joy in difficult times. “For his anger is but for a moment. His favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may stay for the night, but joy comes in the morning.” Psalm 30:5
- Pray to find joy in worship. “Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my exceeding joy. I will praise you on the harp, God, my God.” Psalm 43:4
- Pray to be exceedingly full of joy. “Sing to him a new song. Play skillfully with a shout of joy!” Psalm 33:3
- Pray that the whole earth will praise God with joy. “Make a joyful shout to God, all the earth!” Psalm 66:1
- Pray to see the joy in your redemption. “My lips shall shout for joy! My soul, which you have redeemed, sings praises to you!” Psalm 71:23
- Pray to trust your joy to the Lord. “Bring joy to the soul of your servant, for to you, Lord, do I lift up my soul.” Psalm 86:4
- Pray to be joyful and thankful for His deliverance. “He brought his people out with joy, his chosen with singing.” Psalm 105:43
Thank You for the joy that You give your children! We are so thankful that we can be joyful in You. Finding joy in You, even in difficult circumstances, is possible because You are our good and perfect God!
We pray that we would trust You with our joy. We ask for wisdom for what we consume with our eyes and heart, that we will not dwell on useless or dark things.
Help us not to overlook the joy You have put in our lives. Show us Your joy each day!
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Prayers for October: Prayer for Hope for the Weary
Weariness hits even the strongest people. It can be tiring and daunting to face the same circumstances for a long time, and not see any change.
We might imagine that the Lord feels that way with us, that He is frustrated with us for continuing to dabble in sin. He wants us to change, yet we don’t surrender our whole lives to Him.
Thankfully, the Lord is not like us! He does not grow weary or impatient with us, and is not willing that anyone should perish (2 Peter 3:9). He encourages us to keep going as we try to follow Him.
He asks us to look to Him for what we need instead of ourselves. These prayer points walk us through praying for hope for our weary souls.
Prayer Points for Hope for the Weary
- Pray to feel strong and brave in the Lord. “Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.” Isaiah 41:10
- Pray for sustenance and refreshment in the Lord. “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
- Pray that those who feel weak will find strength in the Lord. “He gives power to the weak. He increases the strength of him who has no might.” Isaiah 40:29
- Pray for God’s strength to do what He called you to do. “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
- Pray that you will be filled with hope. “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope, in the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13
Dear Lord God,
Thank You that we can come to You for strength for what we need! You will provide the good things we need for what You have called us to do in this new day.
We pray for strength as we encounter tiring and difficult circumstances. We may not have expected this trial to last this long, or for so much to be asked of us.
In our discouragement, we ask for You to renew our weary hearts. Give us joy in You, and help each of us to be Your faithful servant.. Help us to let go of things that You have not called us to pursue.
Thank You for being our powerful and living God of hope and strength!
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Prayers for October: Prayer for Following God’s Will
Sometimes, you know what God has called you to do, but it is hard. You might not have pictured your life going this way, and it’s not something you can do in your own strength.
God works everything together for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28) and can use these challenging circumstances to refine our relationship with Him. Trust in His perfect plan.
It’s even more important during these times for the children of God to follow Him and to seek His face each day! These prayer points encourage us to pray through different ways we can draw closer to Him during difficult times, and do what we do for the glory of God.
- Pray to work to please God, and not others. “And whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord, and not for men.” Colossians 3:23
- Pray to be joyful even through difficult times, because of how it will glorify God. “Not only this, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope.” Romans 5:3-4
- Pray to stay close to the Lord, and to rely on His strength. “Seek the Lord and his strength, seek his face continually.” 1 Chronicles 16:11 KJV
- Pray to seek God’s will and not your own. “For you ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, we will both live, and do this or that.’” James 4:15
- Pray for God’s direction in your life. “Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105
Thank You that we can be thankful to You in all circumstances. You are reason enough to be thankful!
We pray that You will help us to seek You in our decisions, both large and small, that we would honor You in what we do. Help us to follow Your will, even when we don’t feel strong enough for it.
Help us to glorify You in what we do today! Please give us the strength to do what You have called us to.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Printable Prayer Planner Journal
This printable includes:
- A list of 31 prayers for October
- Prayer Points for Healing for Broken Relationships
- Prayer Points for the Protection of Children
- Prayer Points for Healing of Broken Relationships
- Prayer Points for Finding Joy
- Prayer Points for Hope for the Weary
- Plus a Printable Prayer Journal sheet after each of these pages.
You can use this FREE printable prayer planner journal for your own personal use. If you want to share it with someone, please link them to this post. Do not sell the digital file or sell a printed version of the file.
Looking for free Christian Printables?
Free Bible-themed Printables
Free Bible Verse Printables
Free Black and White Bible Verse Printables – Wall Art and Verse Cards
Free Christian Coloring Page Printables
Free Bible Verse Bookmark Printables
For digital products for sale, visit the Hope Filled Faith Etsy shop.
These prayers for October are one way to help you spend time in prayer during another busy month of the year. Print out the prayer planner to spend at least one day each week praying through another important aspect of your Christian walk.
Time spent in prayer is never wasted! Dear friend, let these prayers for October and prayer prompts for October bless you this month.