December is a month of celebration as we get to celebrate Christmas, rejoicing for the birth of our Savior! But it can also be a challenging month, with extra commitments, financial stress, travel, and complicated relationships.
These prayers for December, along with a list of prayer points with December, offer a place to start and reminders of just a few of the things you can pray for through this last month of the year.
There are 5 prayer themes for the month, as well as a list of 31 prayer requests to pray through for the month. You can use them by yourself, or in a small prayer gathering.
These prayer sheets can be useful in preparing a printable prayer sheet for a prayer meeting. We have other months available; see this link to check which months have been covered.
You can use many of these themes all year around, although we have some holiday-themed prayer themes for the month of December.
The included prayers are for your inspiration as you pray. You can use them as a starting point for your own prayers. Or you can pray through them word for word; as long as you are praying with a genuine heart, this can be helpful to some people.
A FREE December prayer planner is included at the end of this post, with a prayer request for each day of the month. It also includes 5 focused prayer sheets to pray thoroughly through a theme of the Christian walk.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure to learn more.
Prayers for December: 6 Powerful Prayers
Pray through these requests and prayer points as you navigate this exciting and busy month!
Powerful Prayer for New Month of December
For some, the month of December is a magical and sweet time, full of wonderful celebrations, an abundance of blessings, and time with friends and family. Many happy memories are made around the Christmas tree on Christmas morning.
For others, it is a challenging time that can highlight loneliness, stress, and lack of resources. Maybe Christmas dinner plans fell through, or there isn’t enough money for gifts.
The former group is not necessarily more spiritual; the latter group is not less Christian. Sometimes, it can be the season you are in; other times, it’s needing to ask for and receive help from others.
Whatever the reason, there are many holiday-related concerns to pray through this month. Consider praying through one each day!
Prayer Points for the Month of December
- For the advent season to be a meaningful time of reflection and thankfulness
- For family and friend relationships during the Christmas season
- For financial concerns throughout the holidays
- For the Lord to guide you during an extra busy season
- For God’s provision for each day
- For those who have recently received a diagnosis
- For Christmas plans for those who don’t have any
- For family members to encourage each other
- For God to help you set aside things that hold you back from Him
- For God to grow your love for the Bible
- For strength for long and challenging days
- To set aside bitterness and unforgiveness
- For compassion for others who are going through difficult times
- For wisdom on who you can help this Christmas season
- For who to invite to a church Christmas service
- For those who are having a difficult Christmas season because of grief
- For those who would like to mend fences with family or friends, but don’t know how
- For those who are working extra during the holidays, or on Christmas
- For those having medical issues during the holidays
- For those who are facing unexpected challenges at Christmas
- For our expectations of the holidays, that we would keep them God-honoring
- For provision for those who are looking for a job
- For teachers to be refreshed during the Christmas break
- For Christmas Eve to reflect our love and thankfulness for Jesus Christ
- Thanksgiving and Joy for the birth of our Savior!
- For year-end donations to help Christian ministries
- For our hearts to be open to help and pray outside of where we live
- For churches as they prepare for the new year
- For traveling mercies this holiday season
- For those who are seeking the Lord
- For our New Year’s resolutions to honor the Lord
May you be blessed in praying for this month’s needs!
Happy New Month Prayer for December
Thank you for this beautiful month! Your birth is the reason for the biggest holiday of the year, and we have so many opportunities to share that hope with others in December.
May we make the most of every opportunity we have to tell others of the Good News of the Gospel.
Help us to lean on You for strength and love this month as we may encounter challenging situations. May we focus on You and what we get to do for You! Give us wisdom as we navigate everything that will happen this month.
In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.
Prayers for December: Thanksgiving for the Gift of God’s Word
God’s Word is such a gift to us. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 sums this up perfectly. “Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, that each person who belongs to God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
It gives straightforward answers to so many questions we have about life, and gives guidelines and principles for what is not specifically addressed.
Pray through these prayer points in thanksgiving, and ask for further understanding and knowledge of God’s Word through the Holy Spirit.
Prayer Points for Thanksgiving for God’s Word
- Thank God for the timelessness of His Word. “The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8
- Pray that you will hope in God’s Word and not earthly things. “I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.” Psalm 130:5 KJV
- Ask God to use the Bible to show you what to do in life. “Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light for my path.” Psalm 119:105
- Thank God for His powerful word. “Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?” Jeremiah 23:29 KJV
- Ask God to use it to equip you. “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 6:17
- Pray that you will responsibly handle it. “Give diligence to present yourself approved by God, a workman who doesn’t need to be ashamed, properly handling the Word of Truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15
Prayer of Thanksgiving for God’s Word
Dear Heavenly Father,
We are so grateful for Your Word, the Holy Bible. What a gift it is to us! Thank You for equipping us with the precious Words.
May we learn more about You through Your Word, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
We pray that many would find their everlasting hope and deep joy in Your Word!
In the name of Jesus, Amen.
Prayers for December: Strength from the Lord
December can be a stressful month for many people! There may be a lot of special events to enjoy, but there is a lot of planning and hard work behind each gathering.
Add to that travel, financial stress, awkward social situations, and it can be a difficult time for some people.
In these situations, and in every situation, we can call on our strength from the Lord! He is gracious and faithful to give us strength.
Prayer Points for Strength from the Lord
- Pray for strength that comes from abiding in the Lord. “I am the vine. You are the branches. He who remains in me and I in him bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
- Thank God that His strength is powerful enough for anything that you will face. “‘Lord GOD, you have begun to show your servant your greatness, and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or in earth that can do works like yours, and mighty acts like yours?” Deuteronomy 3:24 WEBBE
- Ask God to go with you as you serve Him. “Be strong and courageous. Don’t be afraid or scared of them, for the LORD your God himself is who goes with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6 WEBBE
- Pray that the Lord will help you wait on Him. “Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.” Psalm 31:24 KJV
- Thank God for being your shelter. “I am a marvel to many, but you are my strong refuge.” Psalm 71:7
- Ask God to help you seek Him for strength. “Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might.” Ephesians 6:10
- Thank God that we have the strength we need through Him. “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
A Prayer for Strength from the Lord
Dear Lord Jesus,
We know that if you want us to accomplish something, You will equip us with Your strength. Help us to seek Your will, and follow your guidance.
May we be strong in You when we need to be. Help us not to worry about being strong all the time.
May we honor You as we serve You!
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Prayers for December: Reviving and Renewing Our Hearts
As we start to wrap up this year, it’s common to be reflecting on what happened in the past 12 months. The end of the year is also a great time to take an honest look at how our hearts are towards the Lord. Could we use a little renewal in the Lord?
Take the time to pray through these prayer points, that God would revive and renew our hearts today.
Prayer Points for Reviving and Renewing Our Hearts
- Pray for God’s renewal in your life. “And that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new man, who in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.” Ephesians 4:23-24
- Ask God to help you be transformed, and not conformed. “Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.” Romans 12:2
- Pray for renewal and revival in your life. “Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me.” Psalm 51:10
- Thank God for His compassionate plan for salvation for us. “But when the kindness of God our Savior and his love toward mankind appeared, not by works of righteousness which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy, he saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly, through Jesus Christ our Savior.” Titus 3:4-6
- Ask God to help you to break free of habits that draw you away from Him. “Don’t lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old man with his doings, and have put on the new man, who is being renewed in knowledge after the image of his Creator.” Colossians 3:9-10
Prayer for Revival and Renewal in Our Hearts
Dear Father God,
Thank You for not leaving us in our old ways, but transforming our minds and hearts in You.
We pray that we would not return to old destructive habits, or embrace worldly views and ways that draw us away from You.
We cry out to You, asking You to renew us and revive us each day!
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Prayers for December: God’s Gift to Us at Christmas
As we celebrate Christmas this month, we want to focus on Jesus’ birth. We thank God for His plan for salvation for us, and for the personal relationship we can have with Jesus Christ.
Taking even a few moments to slow down and pray through these prayer points can help set our hearts in the right place as we prepare for Christmas Day.
Prayer Points for God’s Gift to Us at Christmas
- Thank God for His plan for our salvation. “By this God’s love was revealed in us, that God has sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.” 1 John 4:9
- Give thanks for our Prince of Peace. “For a child is born to us. A son is given to us; and the government will be on his shoulders. His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
- Pray for those who don’t know Jesus yet. “She shall give birth to a son. You shall name him Jesus, for it is he who shall save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21
- Thank the Lord for the joyful news of the Gospel. “The angel said to them, ‘Don’t be afraid, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be to all the people.’” Luke 2:10
- Give glory to God for the wonderful gift of Jesus. “Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, good will toward men.” Luke 2:14
- Thank God for loving us. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16
Prayer of Gratitude for God’s Gift to Us at Christmas
Thank You for the gift that Jesus is to us! We celebrate Jesus this season, and all year long, for what He has done in our hearts.
We pray that we can share this joy with others during our Christmas celebration. Keep our hearts on You and Your love!
May we honor You today,
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Prayers for December: Setting Goals that Glorify God
As December 31st gets closer, our minds can turn to the New Year’s resolutions and our goals for the New Year. It’s exciting to think of the new possibilities as the calendar turns to January 1st.
Praying about goals and resolutions are the best way to make sure that our intentions honor the Lord. These prayer points can help you get started with your prayers.
Prayer Points for Setting Goals that Glorify God
- Ask God to guide you as you pray through your resolutions. “The insistent prayer of a righteous person is powerfully effective.” James 5:16b
- Pray for wise counselors to help you with your goals. “Where there is no counsel, plans fail; but in a multitude of counselors they are established.” Proverbs 15:22
- Thank God for the new start of each day. “It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.” Lamentations 3:22-24 KJV
- Pray that your resolutions will be God-honoring. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23
- Ask God for your goals and resolutions to edify others. “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body, and be thankful.” Colossians 3:15
Prayer for Setting Goals that Glorify God
Thank You for the possibilities contained in the New Year! We are not sure what it holds, but we know that You do. We trust You and Your will for this coming year.
May we set goals and resolutions that glorify You! We pray for a year where we grow in You and our love for You.
In the name of Christ Jesus, Amen.
Printable Prayer Planner Journal for December
This printable includes:
- A list of 31 prayers for December
- Prayer Points for Thanksgiving for the Gift of God’s Word
- Prayer Points for Strength from the Lord
- Prayer Points for Reviving and Renewing Our Hearts
- Prayer Points for God’s Gift to Us at Christmas
- Prayer Points for Setting Goals that Glorify God
- Plus a Printable Prayer Journal sheet after each of these pages.
You are free to use this printable prayer planner journal for your own personal use. If you would like to share it with someone, please link them to this post. You may not sell the digital file or a printed version of the file.
Additionally, Kingdom Bloggers has A Christmas Story Digital 31-Day Bible Reading Plan and Christmas Verse Digital Stickers for Goodnotes.
Dear friends, whether you found this on December 1st or the middle of the year, may God use these prayers and prayer points to help you pray through important aspects of your Christian life.
Use the prayer planner to help you keep focused on prayer and Scripture throughout the month of December. Time spent in prayer is never wasted!
Have a beautiful December!