Have you ever felt unsure about what to pray for? Do you want to add some variety to your prayer life? That’s where prayer idea lists can be helpful. This list of 100 things to pray for can inspire you to pray for things you don’t usually pray for, and to spend more time with God in prayer. Don’t miss the free printable at the end of this article.
Prayers from the Bible
When you are at a loss for what to pray, praying Scripture is always a good idea. These 50 prayer topics from the Bible are the first half of the 100 things to pray for list. Some topics, such as love, will be repeated as they are included in many of the lists in the Bible.
Pray through the Fruits of the Spirit
Found in Galatians 5:22-23, the fruits of the Spirit come from knowing Jesus personally and letting the Holy Spirit work in your life.
- Self Control.
Pray through the Armor of God
Ephesians 6:10-18 describes how we are equipped by God to stand strong. Each piece of armor has a job to strengthen us with what we will face each day. This illustration is a favorite of many and is a worthy part of the 100 things to pray for list.
Pray that you will faithfully wear:
- The utility belt of truth
- The breastplate of righteousness
- Feet prepared with the Gospel of peace
- The shield of faith
- The helmet of Salvation
- The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Pray for Godly Characteristics in Your Life
We see a list in 2 Peter 1:5-7 of qualities that God wants in our lives. Pray that the Lord would help you as you try to grow in these things to pray for.
- Moral excellence
- Self control
- Brotherly Affection
Pray through the Beatitudes
Also included in the 100 things to pray for are the Beatitudes. Through the Beatitudes in Matthew 5:1-12, Jesus talks about those who will be blessed. Pray through these for yourself, the people you know, and/or those you don’t know who meet these characteristics.
- The poor in Spirit
- Those who mourn
- The gentle
- Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
- Pure in heart
- Those who are persecuted for righteousness.
Three Virtues to Pray For
Appearing for a third time on the 100 things to pray for list is love, but this isn’t surprising. According to Bible Study Tools, the word “love” is mentioned in the English Standard Version translation of the Bible 684 times! (source) And love is the reason God sent His Son to save us! (John 3:16)
In 1 Corinthians 13, we learn more about what love truly is. The chapter concludes with three virtues in 1 Corinthians 13:13.
Pray for God to help you with temptation from sin
Many passages warn against the dangers of sin. These sins are listed in Colossians 3:8-9, Proverbs 6:16-23, and Ephesians 4:31. It does not encompass all the sin that exists, of course, but it can be helpful to examine your heart and ask God to show you where you need help.
- Shameful speaking
- Arrogant eyes
- Hands that shed innocent blood
- A heart that devises wicked schemes
- Feet that run fast to mischief
- Causing trouble amongst others
Pray to Follow Jesus’ Example
Ephesians 4:32 contains three actions that will help us act in a way that honors the Lord. This rounds out the first half of 100 things to pray for.
- Be kind to one another
- Be tenderhearted to one another
- Forgive each other as God forgave you.
Other things to pray for
The second half of 100 things to pray for are based on Biblical principles. Some are directly from Scripture but others are not. The structure of this is loosely based on the ACTS prayer model (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Intercession.)
Praise the Lord
Beginning prayer time with worshiping and praising God gives us perspective to the vastness of God. Choose one or several characteristics to praise God for.
- God is mighty (Psalm 50:1)
- God is faithful (1 Corinthians 1:9)
- God is merciful (Deuteronomy 4:31)
- God is love (1 John 4:8)
- God is greater than other gods (2 Chronicles 2:5)
- God is gracious (2 Chronicles 30:9)
- God is our refuge (Psalm 46:1)
- God is a god of deliverance (Psalm 68:20)
- God is my salvation (Isaiah 12:2)
- God is righteous (Daniel 9:14)
- God is light. (1 John 1:5)
Pray for your struggle with sin
Romans 7:19 tells us, “For the good which I desire, I don’t do; but the evil which I don’t desire, that I practice.” We can want to obey God, but if we are operating without His strength, we will fail. We can pray through these prayer points to help us in our struggles.
- That you would be strong through the power of the Holy Spirit
- That you would see God changing your old ways
- That you would desire a righteous life
- That God would show you His strength is sufficient in temptation
- That God would bless you in your obedience to Him.
Pray with Thanksgiving
Max Lucado has been quoted as saying,
“What if you woke up this morning and had only the things you thanked God for yesterday?”
This is a good reminder to be thankful and realize that the blessing and provision in your life come from God. Use these prayer points to thank God in prayer.
- Thank God for another day
- Thank God for His Word/your favorite Bible verse
- Thank God for the blessings you have seen today
- Thank God for His protection
- Thank God for your salvation.
Pray for Your Walk with God
On this part of the 100 things to pray for list, we start out with praying for our walk with God. God wants us to grow in Him at every opportunity. Pray for these aspects of your walk with God.
- To turn to God when you have failed
- To be consistent in reading the Bible
- To be faithful in prayer
- To keep growing in Christ
- To be a witness to others.
Pray for those who are sick
It hurts so much to see a loved one become ill. We can take our worries and concerns to the Lord. Include prayers for the sick in your 100 things to pray for.
- For their healing
- For strength for each day
- For provision for their needs
- For those involved with their care
- For God’s will in their lives
Pray for Someone Who Doesn’t Know Christ Yet
Most everyone knows someone who doesn’t know Christ yet. If you don’t, pray for God to bring you someone to pray for.
- For God to soften their heart
- For loving Christians to be part of their lives
- For them to see God through His creation
- For past experiences with the church not to discourage them
- For their needs only to be fulfilled by God.
Pray for Your Family
Relationships in families can be a blessing, but can also be complicated. Keep praying for them on your list of 100 things to pray for.
- For them to know Christ and know Him better each day
- For their protection
- For their friends to encourage them in their walk with Christ
- For their knowledge of God’s truth
- For their joy.
Pray for Your Finances
Finances can be stressful! Learn to trust God for wisdom for your finances by praying through these prayer points.
- To honor God with your finances
- To see God’s provision in your finances
- To bless others with your finances
- To be wise with your finances
- To be honorable in your finances.
Pray for the World to Know Christ
We have this good news that Jesus saves, and we must share it with others! Include these global missions prayer points in your 100 things to pray for.
- For God’s Word to go out far beyond where we believe possible
- For hearts to be softened in places where the Gospel is restricted
- For missionaries to serve where God has called them
- For persecuted Christians to be strengthened
- For missionary organizations to have financial and personnel resources to help where needed.
Free 100 Things to Pray for Printable
This downloadable list of 100 things to pray for is available on the free Bible Printables page here. Use it as a tool in your prayer time, praying through one or several needs on the list.
If you’d like to watch these prayers on YouTube, visit the 100 Prayer Points Playlist, with 16 short videos with these prayer points.
Whether you need some ideas for prayer, or want prayer points for praying for an area of your life, “100 things to pray for” is a resource for helping you spend time in prayer. Use it to inspire even more prayer ideas, and always be listening in prayer to God as He guides you towards what He wants you to pray!
If you liked reading this, you may also want to check out 5 Ways to Respond to Unanswered Prayers.